Gráig na Manach
Graiguenamanagh

Gráig na Manach, meaning "Village of the Monks" is considered to be one of the most beautiful areas in the southeast of Ireland. It is located on the River Barrow at the foot of Brandon Hill. It is home to Duiske Abbey, the largest and perhaps the finest of the thirty-four medieval Cistercian abbeys in Ireland.

With its remarkable combination of mountain views, lush rolling hills, forest and river valleys, Graignamanagh offers nature lovers a plentiful feast as well as countless amenities for those keen on outdoor activities. Add to these the rich heritage of historical monuments and an abundance of leisure facilities and Graiguenamanagh presents itself as an enormously attractive venue for tourists.

  • Population
    1,543

  • Coordinates
    52.543925 -6.957807

View of Graiguenamanagh from the air

Graiguenamanagh expanded beyond the Abbey as a market town, aided by the development of the Grand Canal and the navigation of the River Barrow, which ultimately connected the town with Dublin, New Ross, Waterford and Carlow. The production of wool was historically important to the town’s economy and sheep rearing remains a predominant agricultural activity in the hinterland.

It has been called Ireland's best kept secret and is a veritable treasure trove of varied scenery, ancient buildings, canal boating, river and hill walks, restaurants, crafts, traditional pubs and much more.



Cnoc Bhréanail
Brandon Hill

Brandon Hill is the highest mountain in County Kilkenny. It has an elevation of 515 m (1,690 ft). It is situated 4 kilometers South-South West of Graignamanagh, 7 kilometers east of Inistioge and 11 kilometers east of Thomastown, in the south of County Kilkenny.

Read more

Mainistir Dhubhiske
Duiske Abbey

Duiske Abbey was founded by William Marshall in 1204 and is one of the first, largest and perhaps the finest of the thirty-four medieval Cistercian monasteries in Ireland. The Abbey is the parish church of Graiguenamanagh town and beautifully dominates the town centre.

Read more

Caisleán Tigh na hInse
Tinnahinch Castle

Tinnahinch Castle was constructed in 1615 by the Duke of Ormonde. It was built to control a crossing where a wooden bridge once spanned the Barrow. The bridge linking the two settlements was originally constructed in 1797. The castle was burnt around the year 1700 and has lain that way ever since.

Read more

An Bhearú
River Barrow

The River Barrow, historically a significant highway, was developed as a commercial navigation in the mid seventeen hundreds and Graiguenamanagh served as the main base for commercial barges operating on the river until barge traffic ceased in 1959.

Read more
#Graiguenamanagh

Graig's Instagram Feed

    Tag your photos with #Graiguenamanagh to see them displayed here. Your account must not be set to private.